Re-Upholstering a Retro Sofa (part two)

20130608-195346.jpgLast week, I posted about this sofa, which was a badly recovered retro piece with the original fabric left underneath. It has had some major cosmetic surgery this week! As they say, pictures speak louder than words, so I’ll just cut to the chase for you.

20130608-200114.jpgThis very vintage looking blue-grey, lightly patterned fabric has replaced the old. I have reused the old foam, but added thick layers of felt and bonded polyester to freshen the sofa and give it added fullness.

20130608-200303.jpgThis style is called square (or biscuit) tufted (not to be confused with a regular buttoned style). This means that the squares have been sewn together to form channels, and padded. Each channel had to be stitched carefully and equidistant so the end result looks correct.

20130609-160222.jpgI first upholstered the seat, and then the arms.

20130609-160005.jpgThe back was done next, making sure all the seams lined up.

20130609-161632.jpgSo, here she is…the completed sofa.

Read on for details of the major changes…

The arms:

20130609-161753.jpgThe client wanted a classic mid-century look, so I made the arms more sleek and square.

20130609-162117.jpgI love the ski slope shape of the arms. I didn’t add piping, because I wanted to keep the look very simple and modern. The arm is top stitched instead.

20130609-162541.jpg

The Seat Edge:

20130609-162639.jpgAlthough “the marshmallow” look may or may not be coming back…it certainly wasn’t the look we were going for here. I changed it to a very simple design.

This client came to pick up her new sofa today, and was thrilled with the look. I just love a happy upholstery ending!

%d bloggers like this: